Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

New Credentials: Certified Project Management Professional

I have had a taste of my own medicine in having to prepare for a major exam ... I'm pleased to report that today I passed the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification exam!!

For those planning to take the PMP exam, I'll tell you a bit about my background and how I prepared for this exam.
Up until June 2011, I worked for two years in project management for the State of MN. This experience was invaluable in teaching me the basics of all aspects of project management.
From there, I purchased Andy Crowe's The PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try. On Amazon, this book had about the same review rating as Rita Mulcahey's PMP Exam Prep: Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam but cost somewhat less. As I searched for additional materials, Rita's name kept coming up, so I checked out the 3rd edition of her title above from the library (although the manual is now in its 7th edition).

With each manual, I did not read the chapter content; instead, I took the chapter tests and reviewed the explanations for my errors carefully. (With Crowe's manual, I also reviewed the correct answer explanations). I liked the thorough approach that Rita's book offered; if I'd had the time, I'd have enjoyed moving through the book and its exercises at a comfortable pace.

I read various opinions regarding PMP materials, including one saying s/he studied Rita's book and scored 90-95% on the chapter tests but did not pass the test. I scored 60-70% on average in Rita's book and did pass, so go figure.

I took a quick look also at Oliver Lehman's free practice tests, though somehow they seemed more difficult than Rita's as the questions seemed to focus on the finer details of PM ("by the book" vs. real-life scenarios). I had time only to do a few questions, but will include the links here in case you find them helpful:

http://www.oliverlehmann.com/pmp-self-test/75-free-questions.htm

http://www.oliverlehmann.com/contents/free-downloads/175_PMP_Sample_Questions.pdf

Finally, I located a free PMP cheat sheet through www.vbpm.org. I had been looking for some time for a decent summary of key concepts which I'd hoped would help me feel less overwhelmed; this document really fits the bill. The main thing it lacks is a summary of inputs and outputs for each process, though it would have been much longer in that case.

As a PMI member, I have had access to the PMBOK, 4th edition, though I just couldn't make myself read such dry material. I've included a link/image below, in case you want to investigate it further.
I have to say that my previous real-life experience in PM was a big advantage in understanding the flow of project management and, frankly, just keeping me interested in the topic since I could relate my studies to real-world experiences.
Beyond my work experience, I figure I studied a total of 50 hours total, off and on over six months time. My chapter test scores didn't really improve from Crowe's manual to Rita's manual so I wasn't terribly confident I'd pass, though I do feel I have a better understanding of how I'd handle specific situations which, on top of those three letters I get to place after my name (if I choose to do so), is a great bonus.

You may ask: What is the passing score for the PMP? You will not receive a numerical score upon completion of your exam. Rather, you are given a qualitative score of P (Proficient), MP (Moderately Proficient), or BP (Below Proficient) for each domain. The key domains (those apparently given higher weights in calculating the exam score) are Planning, Executing, and Monitoring & Controlling.

For details on how an exam pass may be determined, see: http://www.deepfriedbrainpmp.com/2010/04/best-kept-secret-of-pmp-certification.html#more

From my readings on the subject, the passing percentage appears to remain at approximately 61% for scored items. (25 of the 200 test questions are not figured in scoring.)

Although I am unable to divulge specific questions from the exam, I would be glad to give you general guidance in preparing for the exam. Be aware that the content for the PMP exam will be updated on August 31, 2011.

By the way, here's a free PMP practice exam (probably does not reflect latest post-Aug 2011 content): http://headfirstlabs.com/PMP/free_exam/

I hope the information I've provided helps you find the right materials and the best approach for effective and efficient studying.

Hey, Good Luck on the PMP exam! Feel free to weigh in on your experiences with prep and/or outcomes.

1 comment:

  1. I had read that a PMP credential could add as much as $15000 to an annual salary; I've been eager to discover whether this is true.

    I'm glad I decided to use the PMP suffix on my resume, because it's been recognized by several occasions by potential employers. I haven't seen the salary increase yet, but was given a job offer that I believe was based in part on having this credential. Had I not put the credential in plain sight, after my name at the top of the resume, not just in the body of the resume, I'm quite sure it would have gone unnoticed.

    Now I'm a believer in using the PMP credential after my name in employment-related correspondence!

    ReplyDelete